Piazza de' Pitti

Piazza de' Pitti, almost completely dominated by the imposing figure of Palazzo Pitti, is one of the most important squares in the Oltrarno district.

Built in an area considered secondary to the city at that time and located on the slopes of the Boboli hill, the palace was built at the end of the 15th century on behalf of Luca Pitti (1457) to be enlarged after its purchase by the Medici family, becoming its most prestigious residence.

In 1620 Giulio Parigi enlarged the facade, while in the eighteenth century, the Lorena family had the two side wings erected, slightly uphill in order to underline even more the majesty of the complex and so marking today's square.

The square was further enlarged in 1837, demolishing some buildings on the sides, for example Palazzo Guidetti, making Palazzo Guicciardini appear in the corner.

In the square, in addition to Palazzo Pitti,  there are other important buildings, such as Palazzo Temple Leader, inhabited by the English designer of  the Castle of Vincigliata, and recognizable by the loggia located on the top floor.

During the twentieth century the square was a parking area until 1996 whenand the pavement was restored bringingz the square back to its original appearance. Since 24 June 2011 the square is pedestrian.

In piazza two plaques recall the houses of two famous people: at street n.18 the house of Paolo dal Pozzo Toscanelli, the astronomer who inspired Crisoforo Colombo, while the one that recalls the house of Fedor Dostoevskikìj during the writing of the novel L'Idiota (1868 - 1869), is situated at street n.2.

In Piazza de' Pitti there is seat of the Consulate of Brazil and of Accademia Italiana - fashion and design school.


Points of interest
Architectures and monuments
Poligono GEO

Piazza de' Pitti

Piazza de' Pitti

Piazza de' Pitti, 50125 Firenze FI, Italia

Piazza de' Pitti, 50125 Firenze FI, Italia