The Goldoni Theatre dates back to the early Nineteenth Century, thanks to the initiative of a private individual called Luigi Gargani, who entrusted the project of this theatre to Giuseppe del Rosso. This modern building serves two purposes: it is used as an indoor theatre and open-air arena, with a large seating capacity. Inaugurated in 1817 with prose works, it soon focused on music and opera.
The Goldoni Theatre hosted Società Filarmonica Fiorentina, the real forerunner of Stabile Orchestrale commissioned by Vittorio Gui, from which Maggio Musicale Fiorentino and today’s Orchestra of the same name of the Festival originated. Situated near Palazzo Pitti, the Goldoni Theatre was used as a court theatre by the Lorraine family, but the advent of the Kingdom of Italy and the events linked to Florence as the capital led to a temporary decay of the Theatre. In 1875, it was newly inaugurated with "L'ltaliana in Algeri" (The Italian Girl in Algiers) by Rossini and then there was a long period of oblivion, also when the wars broke out. It is currently used by Maggio Musicale Fiorentino.
Via Santa Maria, 15, 50100 Firenze FI, Italia