In one of the ground-floor rooms there is a permanent exhibition about the history of the palace, built for Filippo Strozzi, one of Florence’s wealthiest merchants, who wanted it to be bigger than Palazzo Medici. Construction began in 1489, but it was still incomplete when the Strozzi rebelled against Medici rule in the 16th century, and part of the building was confiscated. Imposing doors on three sides of the palace lead into the courtyard, designed by Simone del Pollaiolo (il Cronaca), which is surrounded by arches resting on columns with Corinthian capitals.
The palace is home to various cultural bodies, including the Istituto Nazionale di Studi sul Rinascimento, and major art exhibitions are also held here. The Centro di Cultura Contemporanea Strozzina in the basement is used for contemporary art exhibitions and events.
Piazza degli Strozzi, 50123 Firenze FI, Italia
The courtyard of Palazzo Strozzi has no architectural barriers and the entrance with a ramp is situated in Via Strozzi. The elevators in the courtyard provides access to the exhibition hall floor: both the exhibit at the noble floor and the one at the Strozzina are barrier-free.
Special tours and workshops suitable for visitors suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, autism, cognitive disabilities and psychic disorders are available upon reservation.
Standard wheelchairs are available and can be requested on the day of the visit.