The first of the great Florentine basilicas and the first large-scale Gothic building in the city, the Dominicans began constructing Santa Maria Novella soon after 1240; it was finished in 1357 but was not consecrated until 1420. In the following centuries it underwent various modifications, in particular the remodelling begun by Giorgio Vasari in 1566 and the 19th-century interventions designed to restore the Gothic appearance of the building. There are a number of important artworks in the church: Giotto’s Crucifix and a wooden Crucifix by Filippo Brunelleschi, Masaccio’s fresco of the Trinity and two chapels frescoed respectively by Domenico Ghirlandaio and Filippino Lippi. The rich polychrome-marble façade was completed in the second half of the 15th century by Leon Battista Alberti.
Basilica di Santa Maria Novella
Piazza di Santa Maria Novella, 18, 50123 Firenze FI, Italia
Entrance is from the sidewalk connected to the street level on the right-hand side of the Church (via degli Avelli). The Church is accessible except for Cappella Tornabuoni, Cappella Rucellai and Cappella Strozzi di Mantova.
To complete the tour and enter the Museum, exit from Piazza Santa Maria Novella, get to the exit of the Museum (left-hand side looking at the façade). Ring the bell and ask the museum staff to open the dedicated entrance. The Museum is entirely accessible.