The Basilica of Santa Trìnita is one of the most important in the historical and artistic evolution of the city of Florence: it overlooks the homonymous Piazza Santa Trinita and also gives its name to the nearby bridge.
Founded in the 11th century, it was enlarged and transformed around 1250, obtaining the title of abbey in the 14th century. At the end of the sixteenth century, as part of the renovations following the Counter Reformation that the Medici Grand Dukes had promoted in the Florentine churches, Bernardo Buontalenti renewed its presbytery and rebuilt the convent. The complex thus assumed a sober yet imposing style. The facade, also by Buontalenti, with sculptures by Giovanni Caccini dates back to that same period.
Inside the chapels appear rich in works of art. The most interesting is the Sassetti Chapel, completely frescoed by Ghirlandaio, with scenes from the life of San Francesco and portraits of members of the Sassetti and Medici families.
Chiesa di Santa Trinita
Piazza di Santa Trinita, 50123 Firenze FI, Italia
Sidewalk connected to the street level in front of the entrance of the church, but it is easier to enter from the door on the right-hand side. Access to the church through two adjoining doors that open outwards. The interior is fully accessible.