The dome was begun in 1420 by Filippo Brunelleschi, who conceived an innovative, self-supporting double shell that did away with the need for traditional centring during construction; the vault, completed in 1436, is decorated by a great 16th-century frescoes (the Last Judgement), masterpiece by Giorgio Vasari and Federico Zuccari. The lantern, surmounted by a gilt copper sphere with a cross on top, was realized in 1468, after Brunelleschi's death.
The visitors, after walking between the two concentric shells and see from close up the frescoes, can enjoy the fine view of the city and the surrounding hills from the base of the lantern.
Cupola del Duomo
Piazza del Duomo, 50122 Firenze FI, Italia
Not accessible to people in wheelchairs. 463 steps to the top of the Dome, no elevators.
Climbing is not advised to people suffering from heart disease, vertigos, claustrophobia. Staff is available along the path, ready to help.