Access is via the crypt, which houses the tombs of various members of the Medici family and the treasure of San Lorenzo. The museum includes the Chapel of the Princes and the New Sacristy.
Work began on the Baroque-style Chapel of the Princes, an octagonal structure clad with marble and semi-precious stones which was to have been the final resting place of the Grand Dukes, in 1604. Work continued for two centuries, but the project was never completed.
The New Sacristy, begun in 1521, contains the tomb of Lorenzo the Magnificent and his brother Giuliano, and those of Lorenzo, Duke of Urbino and Giuliano, Duke of Nemours. Michelangelo worked on the sculptures for the tombs until 1533, completing the statues of Lorenzo, Duke of Urbino and Giuliano, Duke of Nemours, the allegorical figures of Day, Night, Dawn and Dusk and a Madonna and Child.
Museo delle Cappelle Medicee
Piazza di Madonna degli Aldobrandini, 6, 50123 Firenze FI, Italia
The sidewalk is connected to the street level. The entire Museum is now accessible thanks to an elevator connecting the ground floor (Crypt) to the first floor (Chapel of the Princes and New Sacristy by Michelangelo).
The New Sacristy is accessible by a mobile ramp to be activated by the staff.