The museum is situated in the former Dominican convent rebuilt by Michelozzo between 1436 and 1446 to a commission from Cosimo il Vecchio. It is endowed with the characteristic sobriety and elegance of Florentine Renaissance architecture.
Arranged around the cloister are the communal rooms: the Sala Beato Angelico, the Chapter House, the Washroom and the Refectory. Beato Angelico, who lived and worked in the convent in the first half of the 15th century, frescoed the cells (Annunciation and Scenes from the Life of Christ), corridors, cloister and the Chapter House; one of the two refectories was frescoed by Domenico Ghirlandaio. Many panel paintings by Beato Angelico are on display in the room dedicated to him.
The room dedicated to Beato Angelico houses an extensive collection of panel paintings by the great Renaissance master. On the first floor of the museum, besides the cells, there is the Library also by Michelozzo.
Museo di San Marco
Piazza San Marco, 3, 50121 Firenze FI, Italia
The sidewalk is hardly accessible for wheelchairs because it is not connected to the street level. There is a step down to reach the main entrance (ask the staff to use the platform lift). The interior is accessible. There is a platform lift to reach the first floor and a series of ramps between the rooms.
A disabled toilet is on the ground floor. The exit is not compatible, therefore it is advisable to go back and get out through the entrance.