Piazza della Signoria

Piazza della Signoria

The square came into being along with the Palazzo Vecchio between the thirteenth and fourteenth century, establishing itself from the first as an area dedicated to the civic life of the city. In the course of the fourteenth century it took one more or less its present dimensions, as a result of the demolition of numerous private buildings and of two churches, and of the construction of the Loggia della Signoria on the west side and the Tribunale della Mercanzia (Commercial Court) on the north-east. Later developments were mostly connected with the sculptural decorations culminating, during the epoch of the Grand Duke, in the transformation of the Loggia della Signoria into a kind of open-air museum. The construction of the Uffizi in the mid sixteenth-century created a further prospect towards the river. The square was not immune from the nineteenth century renewal of the old city centre, within the course of which various Neo-Renaissance style buildings were introduced.

Piazza della Signoria has always represented the political centre of Florence becoming, over the years, the key place for many events that have strongly affected the history of the City and the entire world. In front of the Fountain of Neptune there is a plaque on the ground marking the exact point where Fra Girolamo Savonarola and his fellow monks were burned on May 23rd 1498. This tragic episode is being commemorated every year with the traditional ceremony of the Fiorita.  

Points of interest
Architectures and monuments
Poligono GEO

Piazza della Signoria

Piazza della Signoria

Piazza della Signoria, Firenze

Details
Comune
City:
Firenze 
Address
Address:
Piazza della Signoria, Firenze