The covered market of Sant'Ambrogio hosts food shops and like the San Lorenzo market dates back to the end of 19th century when a complete new design of the historic centre has been put on. In 1860 Florence became the new capital of the Kingdom of Italy and took on its present appearance, clearly inspired by the great European capitals, Paris first. The construction of new markets was the main project of the new concept of the city. The market of Sant' Ambrogio, built in the large vegetable garden in the block beyond Santa Croce towards the walls, with a cast iron structure, was inaugurated in 1873 about a year before than San Lorenzo market.
Mercato di Sant'Ambrogio
Piazza Lorenzo Ghiberti, 50122 Firenze FI, Italia